The project of the Institute of Georgian Architects had the following goals:
- Increase public participation into the decision making process related to the urban planning and renovation;
- Ensure sustainable development of the selected area of Tbilisi through protecting existing community/neighborhood`s structures;
- Create the model and proposal of sustainable urban rehabilitation.
Following activities were implemented in frames of the project:
- Preliminary meeting-dialogue with neighborhood members together with target groups/stakeholders (municipality, business and socially active groups) representatives ;
- Undertake thorough research of existing technical data (cadastral, civil engineering, other);
- Analysis of revealed basic information about the needs of the neighborhood related to humanitarian and social, cultural and natural heritage preservation aspects;
- Coordinate permanent dialogue process for timely and gradual involvement/inclusion of adjacent/interdisciplinary specialists (arts/architecture historians, Civil/Structural engineers, sociologists) in the project;
- Elaboration of sustainable development concept of the neighborhood;
- Presentation and review of the project with neighborhood members, adjacent/interdisciplinary specialists, social stakeholders; Lobbying municipality and business groups to promote project concept as important reusable tool;
- Detection of potential new housing associations and support the parties interested in their formation and coordination;
- Analyzing and determination of estimated construction costs;
- Preparation of the harmonized concept of the project that will have the format of Local Regulation and Development plan;
- Present the concept at the Department of Architect at Tbilisi Municipality;
- Filming “oral histories” that will be lately disseminated through social media;
- To start and permanently renew the blog in social media. The blog will contribute to public awareness and professional discussions around the project.
The project implementation period was January-July 2017.