The South Caucasus Regional Office of the Heinrich Boell Foundation
announces a call for participation in the Green Academy 2015
Green Transformation: Green Challenges and Opportunities for the South Caucasus
2-8, August, 2015
The brief Green revival of social and political activism in early 1980-s throughout the South Caucasus had faded away due to deep economic and political crisis in 1990-s. Nowadays societies in Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia not only overcome its missed opportunities for Green transformation but even lack awareness and understanding of its benefits.
The South Caucasus Regional Office of the Heinrich Boell Foundation observes social and political changes in the region for more than 10 years since 2003 and tries to find basis for development of the Green political discourse. Promising youth initiatives for defending public spaces in cities and addressing ecologic and human rights issues in industrial areas show very vibrant trend of gradually structuring Green platforms for civic activism. The South Caucasus Regional Office of the Heinrich Boell Foundation initiated its Green Academy program for assisting this very crucial and important beginning in social and political life in the region.
The Green Academy aims to:
- Facilitate deliberation of actual issues of politics, social life, economy and ecology in the South Caucasus in framework of the Green political values and ideas.
- Develop a regional platform for young activists, journalists, scientists and politicians for interaction and cooperation on issues related to sustainable development policies.
- Promote principles and values of sustainable and green politics in issues related to economic, social and political development of the South Caucasus societies (including gender democracy and dealing with the past issues).
- Stimulate public discussions on above mentioned principles and values.
- Establish a platform for elaboration of alternative policy visions and approaches based on sustainable development principles for solving actual social, economic and political issues in the South Caucasus.
- Empower local actors with knowledge-based policy approaches (via research and expertise development) and experience sharing through cooperation with international stakeholders.
Participants will be invited to reflect on and explore the connections between political concerns and the social transformation for better understanding of global Green transformation agenda. They will be invited to investigate how public and economic relationships in South Caucasus societies can be developed for ensuring sustainable development and ecological transition.
The programme will focus on two big thematic frameworks: (1) Green Transformation and Democratic Political Culture and (2) Gender Equality for Green Politics. Participants will be able to focus on one of these areas in particular during the event.
The Green Academy have prepared a varied and exciting agenda which will oﬀer keynote lectures by prominent scholars and activists, practical and skills-oriented workshops, and an introduction to environmental and political issues in the South Caucasus region.
Citizens of the South Caucasus nations born from 1980 to 1995 who have completed at university degree and permanently reside in a state of the region are eligible to apply. Excellent command of English and/or Russian is required. Young activists, journalists, scholars and politicians from the South Caucasus region interested in Green politics and actively involved in Green civic activism are encouraged to apply for this call.
- Applicants do not necessarily need to be affiliated with any of the institutions.
- The deadline for applications is 22 June 2015, 6:00 p.m.
Application package should include the following documents:
- A signed letter with the following information: name and surname; date of birth; country; field of activity/interest;
- An application
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- An essay (2-3 pages) which should reflect your professional and personal motivations, while addressing the following questions:
1. Why am I interested in Green politics?
2. What do I know about the Green transformation?
3. How the Green Academy will contribute to my personal and professional development?
4. What are the areas of my specific interests?
- One recommendation letter indicating relevant experience and/or work.
All documents must be submitted in English and e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate Green Academy 2015 in the subject line of your email.
Heinrich Boell Foundation South Caucasus Regional Office
38, Zovreti St., Tbilisi 0160, Georgia